Friday, December 23, 2005


I guess I'll blog about music since it's really the only thing I can write about easily. This album by the PMG is their latest, and easily their most unusual: it's one song in four parts, and it manages, in 65 minutes, to encapsulate everything I love about the Pat Metheny Group. First, there's no real concession to what's popular. This is a musical journey with musical cues. If rhythm, tempo, dynamics, and melody provide enough stimulus to compel you through a song, then check this out. 2nd, the group really plays well together. Pat always assembles a great team of musicians to record with, and this version of the PMG is no exception--they all add their own distinctive personalities to the composition. Third, live it really worked well. When I saw them at the Universal amphitheater earlier this year, they played the entire piece from start to finish in one long breath that just completely stunned the audience. Even hard-core Metheney group fans, of which I am one, had never seen anything like it. They followed that with 2 more hours of choice PMG material. Really, just one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed. So 2005 was pretty much a PMG year for me. But I also listened to a lot of Todd Rundgren. Start with Runt and work your way through till Nearly Human, and you'll have experienced a bizarre and brilliant body of work.

1 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Hurray!!! Another post at last! Seeing you do as music review, reminds me of you in high school, sitting in your room, blasting an LP, fully appreciating it.

Can't wait to read more of your blog....

xx

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home