Thursday, January 19, 2006


Doesn't Sandra Bullock look mean here? I mean, she looks great, but menacing, like her movie, so I chose this still from Crash as a starter for my Academy Award show blog.

It snagged Best Picture, of course, but Brokeback Mountain should have won. However, I did really enjoy Crash, and one of the reasons why was this character, played by a dark and brooding Sandra Bullock--it's probably the best thing she's ever done, IMHO. She, Matt Dillon, Terance Howard, and the rest of the cast really saved this story. On the whole, this film was just a little too overstated for my taste. It has an important message, tolerance; but the films premise, that everyone is so disconnected that crashing into each other is the only way to make contact just didn't ring true for me--and I live and work in Southern California, where the film is set.

I believe Brokeback Mountain should have won over Crash, Munich, Good Night and Good Luck, and Capote because it has the most universal message, Love Reigns Supreme; and because the top-quality writing and acting made the subject matter both understandable and compelling to even the most homophobic moviegoer. Plus, Ang Lee proved his greatness as a Director by not getting in the way of the script. He could easily have chosen to dumb the story down to make it more TV-ish , and therefore less controversial, but he didn't, and the movie is the better for it. Brokeback Mountain will endure far beyond it's four fellow Best Picture nominees, great as they all were, and long after its controversy has subsided.

Capote was a sentimental favorite for me because Truman is my all-time favorite writer. I really appreciated the way the film didn't try to tell his entire story, like so many bio pics do. Focusing on just six years of the author's life, the viewer gets a crystal clear picture of what writing this best seller was like for Truman. Philip Seymour Hoffman pretty much nailed the part. But I like everything he does, especially his take on Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, and his standout supporting roles in Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Red Dragon. Even that crazy guy in Along Came Polly who has to leave the swanky art gallery party because he "sh-arted" is fun to watch. Other favorite films he's in are Happiness, Love Liza, and Flawless.

Munich blew my mind because it managed to balance fiction and reality so well. Some critics and viewers thought (think) the two simply don't mix, but I disagree. As films, I think Munich, JFK, and even Capote, all tell important and compelling stories--without ever demanding that the viewer except them as absolute fact.

Good Night and Good Luck has perhaps the most immediate impact, because, as Edward R. Murrow himself says in the film, how can we excpect to find truth abroad when we can't even find it at home.

See ya. -SSS

8 Comments:

Blogger S said...

New post, new post! Yay, yay, yay! I really enjoyed your review, Steve...I liked Crash, and Brokeback Mountain, and, I have to wonder, were they just too afraid to have Brokeback be the winner because it was just too much for the average, middle American movie goer?
I really need to get some TV channels...I miss all the good stuff...of course, I miss the bad stuff too!

Glad to see you back in action!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Lelly said...

I have not seen any of these films but I like your review. Just stopping by to say hi. Hi!

9:36 AM  
Blogger S said...

Come to my blog today, Steve! (Wednesday)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Steve...at Barefoot's behest i am visiting all fellow recipients of the 'kick in the pants'...!!! enjoyed your re-working of The White Album, interesting edit i have to say...as someone who has spent all his life in and around Liverpool...true story, 'they' once waved at me, when i was a 2 yr old, from a limo on their way back from the airport...!!!. seeing your blog also reminded me that 'Amadeus' is one of my favourite films...i know that sounds lame, but i often forget when i'm compiling 'favourite' lists of any kind...anywayyyyy...best film seen lately was 'Factotum', Matt Dillon was great as Bukowski and it helped me get into writing again...!!!
i recommend...bye for now...FG ;)

3:16 PM  
Blogger S said...

Yay Steve! That guy up there is my very good pal, Ian...he's a scouser...grew up in Beatle country......and I didnt know they waved at him! LOL

I am going to do more promo, but, since my blog also doesnt have a lot of traffic, i'm not sure it will help all that much..but I thought it was a fun thing to do anyway!

XX

3:37 PM  
Blogger S said...

Steve that 55 was bloody fucking fantastic! Thanks so much for playing...miss you XX

2:08 PM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Steve, I was expecting a flash fiction from you today, but instead got a package in the mail! That is so cool! Thanks so much.

I am listening to it right now. I just love it...we have a lot of world beat around here....

Miss you, wish you could blog more....
How bout a 55?

S

3:02 PM  
Blogger S said...

Thanks for playing my Top Five game! Did you notice I picked Here Comes The Flood from that Fripp album? That is still one of my all time favorites...(do you still make your E's like the ones on that Fripp LP?) :P

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home