Tuesday, July 04, 2006



Funny Story!

Nine months ago I had the Post Office hold my mail for a week during my summer vacation. Sounds simple enough, right? When I got back, my mail arrived no problem, however a few expected packages went AWOL. One, the Vanity Fair book, was a birthday present from my cousin to my wife; the other, the record, was another of my many eBay purchases. The two items were nothing really precious or valuable, but highly anticipated nevertheless. For answers, we grilled our postman, Mike; checked with the post office; reconfirmed the shipping addresses with both senders; then re-grilled Mike, now fully charred. All to no avail. Then nothing. THEN, nine months later, our packages arrived. Here's what happened . . .

Last September, an irresponsible stand-in for our trusty postman Mike must have realized too late in the day that two packages he loaded onto his LLV that morning should not have been brought into the field. Now, if you know anything about working for the Post Office, you know that mail travels only one way, Out--it never comes back In. When workers go Postal, it's almost always because they are overwhelmed by too much mail. Anyway, when this new-be schmuck realized his mistake, he decided to ditch our treasures in the nearest empty receptacle--a neighboring condo's parcel box. He probably thought he'd have the opportunity to deliver them to us the following week. Or, maybe he knew all along these packages were going no further.

Luckily, those nine long months were fairly temperate, or my precious vinyl would surely have warped and the coffee table book would most likely have wilted.

Fast forward to last weekend. On Saturday, our trusty mail carrier Mike knocked on our door. His his arms were full and his smile was large. With what, we wondered? It was neither of our birthdays, nor was it Christmas. "Look what I found!" Mike said. "Remember those packages you were looking for last year." Yes, Yes, YES!

The following conversation held no real answers, only this. One of the parcel boxes on Mike's regular route had no key--which he had somehow ignored for the past nine months. Then he got curious. He decided that the box with the missing key must be opened. Acquiring a replacement key from management took about a week, but when opened, the box revealed our missing treasures. His amazement was surpassed only by his embarrassment. And luckily for us, he choose not to conceal the mistake--his only desire was to present us with the packages we'd been longing for. And here they were! Mystery solved.

My cousin was greatly relieved to hear the good news, but my eBay pal must forever suffer the negative feedback I posted those many months ago.

13 Comments:

Blogger LisaPizza said...

Honeybunch, I had a blast writing your post with you. Let's hope others enjoy reading it as much as we did writing it.
Sorry, no pictures of the Cliff House. We forgot to take any :P, but I do have a brochure I think.
Maybe tonight we can help each other take a photo for HNT?
Loving you softly.

8:09 AM  
Blogger S said...

Wow thats so cool Steve! Im glad you got your stuff finally, and that Mikes a cool guy!

Hi Miss Pizza!

8:23 AM  
Blogger S said...

Steve is that Irene in that pic on Lisas blog?

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

Nope, that's my cousin, Linda. But I must admit, she looks very much like my mom--which is to say that she looks very much like a "Moreno."

3:03 PM  
Blogger S said...

Wow Steve, Now I remember meeting Linda, but hey we were 16!

She really really does look like your mom...amazing!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

That's right, you did meet Linda. I think it was at my Grandma's house one Christmas Eve--and she ended up going home with your fuzzy sweater. Brings back so many great memories. Did you try the tamalies on that visit, or any of my Grandma's other Holiday fare?

12:16 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Hi Sam and hello from Norway! I came to your blog after reading your wife's answering the 5qs from Barefoot_Mistress and was curious of course. Your vinyl collection is impressive and I think you have a great music taste.
The story in this post was cool - thanks for sharing:-)

8:54 AM  
Blogger S said...

LOL thats right you were a sailor in your 20's. I ought to have asked Miss Pizza, How has the Navy shaped, corrupted, twisted your SSS?

LOL Just kidding....and see I behaved, I wanted to dish with her about you...but I didnt, I was a lady! :P LOL

Love to both you guys, and it is so special having you here in blogland too XXXXXXXX

2:15 PM  
Blogger S said...

Yes Ive had your grandmas tamales, and yes Linda did get my fuzzy white sweater for about 6 months, the one you bought me for Christmas! Man, I loved that sweater! But, I got it back thought!

Remember your 19th bday party when your whole family was there and I made a jello mold with pineapple? NEVER put pineapple in jello, silly girl, and when we unmolded it, it just splatted~ I was mortified...

There was later on, further mortification at the party I believe...ack!

2:18 PM  
Blogger LisaPizza said...

How's your studio tale progressing? I'm looking forward to the next installment with your fabulous photo's. Til then be bold! Your ever-lovin'lady

5:17 PM  
Blogger Queenmatrai said...

Hey...
Thanks for droppin by and leavin a comment on my blog...
I'm running a bit behind on my blog (reasons explained in the previous post) but I'm back :)

Btw, got my five answers up

Come have a look

~Noojes

10:43 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Steve,

Watched Sideways the other night, thought of you....
Hey Mrs. Pizza! XX

10:03 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Unbelievable! My mother works for the post office and I have heard stories about lazy mail carriers who ditch their mail in lakes, or a shed in their back yard. They usually get caught because people are expecting certain letters and packages to arrive. Such as in your case. I guess it is overwhelming when the mail just keeps coming. It would make any person go postal.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home