Monday, February 05, 2007


It was a dark and stormy night . . .
Actually, it was a bright sunny day at Hearst Castle when I snapped this picture. It's my favorite shot of dozens of shots I snapped last Saturday. I was trying to get something that would capture the Gothic feel of the place. In this one, I like the way the gold leaf accents shimmer against the black wrought iron trim. The interior of the castle has much more of this type of detail, so the 2 hour walking tour was a real feast for the eyes. Randy Hearst must have had a wild imagination when he built this dream home for his new wife. He certainly had the bucks to indulge his every architectural whim. To bad no one lives there now.
I wonder if, in another 100 years or so, people will be touring Bill Gates' castle. I've heard he's put zillions of dollars into it. But will it charm the way Hearst's castle still does today? Only time will tell.

5 Comments:

Blogger LisaPizza said...

Great Post Honey! It sure was fun rambling around the castle with you. To bad we couldn't stay at the castle next trip to San Simeon/Cambria. But I sure do love the Bluebird Inn
(http://www.bluebirdmotel.com/) and our creekside nest was the perfect way to start our adventure together. Here's to many more photographic expeditions, wine tasting treks, and gastronomical purviews together! Your Sweetie

7:19 PM  
Blogger S said...

Maybe you could get hired as the hearst castle mold man! :P

It does look like an awesome place, I have never been.

8:34 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey S
Guess what I am listening to...

Cool 70'sish Brass solo thingy......then.....Searching in the sky one night, while looking for the moon
I viewed a mighty light approching in a zoom
Need was there to tell someone of my discovery
Fifteen seconds later, a light appeared in front of me
To my surprise, there stood a man with age and mystery
His name was jupiter and came to visit me
The name is jupiter, from the galaxy
I came to meet you, to make you free
Deliver to you a flower from
A distant planet, from where i come

Hah! Love that c/d..thanks! Reminds me of dancing at Knott's Berry Farm with Xochitl and friends...

10:11 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Steve,
Don't get me wrong...I love those EWF 70s brass riffs...they are my favorite next to Cake brass riffs!

And yes, I know you like that 70s stuff.....
PS How is that tea?

7:13 PM  
Blogger S said...

I cant remember which kind of tea I sent you...but if it's black tea, 1/2 milk, 1/2 water, 1 Tablespoon sugar in pan and heat til bubbly...do not boil...
Then add 1 teaspoon tea....steep but not too long or it will be bitter....

Strain and serve.

If its green tea then just make it with water and then drink it plain or sugar or however people drink green tea, i like it plain.
S

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home