Monday, August 14, 2006


HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!

One bonus of visiting clients in their homes is that they sometimes live in exotic or unusual places. I've seen many elaborate pads over the years, and I'm always amazed at how much effort certain homeowners exert to deck out their digs. I'm talking really beautiful but majorly anal-retentive stuff--like elaborate built-in entertainment centers, restaurant-style kitchens, and gaudy Vegas-like bedrooms. It's nice, I suppose, but because I'm in the Restoration Business, I've seen far too many Grand Palaces reduced to ruble by the overwhelming power of fire, water and mold; or worse, the slow but inevitable decay delivered by father time. Houses are work, major work, and I say use the money for travel, buy one really nice painting, or take piano lessons. Keep the place comfy, of course, but not so plush that its loss would send you into a depressive tailspin. And believe me, I see it happen every day.

Anyway, last week I met one of my clients in her office at Paramount Studios. Normally, I would try to conduct business over the phone, but I must admit, I found the notion of a midday meeting on the Paramount lot very intriguing. I'm a huge movie fan and anytime I can work something movie-related into my workday, I'll go for it every time. So here are some shots I took while walking the grounds after my meeting, and after my very gracious host gave me a personal tour aboard her spunky little golf cart. The seeds of the commentary were planted as I strolled.


The Pond.
This area can be filled with millions of gallons of water and used as a mock ocean. The parting of the Red Sea in The 10 Commandments was filmed here. It's funny, but after seeing Bowling for Columbine, I find it very difficult to watch Chuck Heston movies. He's just such a Bone-Head. My favorite of his films now is the remake of Planet of the Apes because he's an ape, he warns other apes of man's brutality, and then he dies. Call me crazy, but I think it's Poetic Justice to have this grumpy gun advocate uttering words of warning against violence. Sure beats his customary rote recitation of the 2nd Amendment.


New York Facades used in Ghost.
I'm a reluctant fan of this movie, but I do really like it. It's lightweight for sure, and a little too sentimental, but I never tire of watching Whoopi Goldberg's wacky performance--she's brilliant in this. To me, this film is much more her story than anyone else's. And I like the way her character, Oda Mae Brown, is not just a Psychic, she a kicked-up-a-notch Medium that can speak to departed loved-ones, pass messages to those left behind, and allow the dead to inhabit her body at will. She's lewd and crude and very, very funny. A nd she almost makes Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze watchable. Almost.









Paramount Logo and Water Tower.
This iconic logo got me thinking about the many Paramount Pictures in my video library. Here's a short list with comments:

The Court Jester--I remember watching this film on TV as a kid and thinking, "This is like an Errol Flynn movie, only it's supposed to be funny." I still crack-up during Danny Kaye's "Pellet with the Poison, Flagon with the Dragon" routine. Essential!

Rosemary's Baby--Still one of my favorite Horror movies. All the characters are fully realized, but Ruth Gordon's nosy neighbor steals the show. Essential!

The Godfather I & II--Crime as the family business, what a concept. These films never cease to amaze me. Francis and everyone involved at their absolute best. Essential!

Save the Tiger--How did I know as a 13-year-old that there was a dark side to Capitalism? I didn't, but this film struck a chord with me, and it still rings loud and clear. Essential!

Chinatown--Another film exploring the dark side of Capitalism. This one just gets a little darker, a little grittier, and hits a lot closer to home. A true LA story and another home run for Roman Polanski. Essential!

Apocolypes Now--Of all the war movies I've seen, this one seems the most telling about the true nature of war: no good guys, no bad guys, just the harsh reality of it all. This film is eerie and nightmarish, and thanks to Robert Duvall, also extremely funny. Essential!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home--The best in the Star Trek series for me. This one has it all: humor, heroics, and humpback whales. Anyone even remotely familiar with Star Trek will find (Vulcan) gold here. Essential!

Shirley Valentine--Lonely housewife talks to walls. The other side of domestic bliss. By the way, do you know the F-plan? Essential!

Titanic--Romance, disaster, hubris, humor. This film has a very novelistic quality for me: rich characters, specific settings, and historic connections. Being a former sailor, I appreciate the dignity of the doomed crew, the tragically misguided Captain, and Kate Winslet's wonderful tits! Essential!

School of Rock--In the near future, perhaps the classroom will be the only place young people can learn about Rock-n-Roll. But with teachers like Jack Black, we have nothing to fear. Essential!


Paramount offices.
As my afternoon visit at Paramount came to a close, I had to smile. I knew I probably wouldn't have another opportunity to visit the lot anytime soon; but hey, I was there on that sunny summer day--and I was getting paid for it.

12 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Excellent post, Mate!

Wow, Steve, how fun that we got to go on a tour of Paramount with you!
I see they are being so efficient, using "the pond" as a parking lot when not in use? Smart!

You film list is excellent! (Crime as a family business, what a concept! LMAO Steve!)

I would have to include Chinatown and School of Rock on my list too.
But then I have to add:

(Zefferellis) Romeo and Juliet~
The most romantic, overdone film of the 70's, complete with hundreds of yards of flowing orange velvet and brocade, is enough to make any textile artist cream!
And Olivia Hussy was just perfection!

Monsoon Wedding~ A very fun look at a wedding of a well to do family in India will have you dancing with the characters throughout this most colorful and vibrant film! Mira Nair is genius!
This film has been dubbed "Pure Delhiwood!" and I like that!

Guys and Dolls~
What can I say? Luck if you've ever been a lady to begin with, luck be a lady tonight!

Toy Story~
Pure animated genius!
"Ages three and up! It says on the box! I'm not supposed to be playing with princess drool!"

Ok 3 for now.....

And Steve, I do so remember your album art on the walls of the sanctuary! I still cant believe you let yourself put pins through the albums! LOL

I just love your writing style, Steve!

Two great posts in one fell swoop? I think i'm overwelmed!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

I knew you liked Zefferellis' R&J and Monsoon Wedding, but I didn't know about Guys&Dolls and Toy Story--nice choices, but none of those films are Paramount Picture. I bet if you gave your video library a quick perusal, you'd spot a couple of those distictive blue mountaintop logos. List a couple of those and tell me why you bought 'em.

6:59 AM  
Blogger S said...

Oh oops, I missed that it had to be Paramount...I will come back with that...

But for today I wanted to ask you, do you hear a lot of Camelesquesounds on that Kick
Inside LP? Especially in that song about James and his Gun, and the end..the jam part.....

Look forward to your 55 tomorrow!

11:07 AM  
Blogger S said...

PS ..and Genesis too, yes, definitely that British progressive thingy going on......

11:12 AM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

Oh yes, I hear a lot of Prog Rock influences in her music, but Camel and Genesis seem to be her major influences of choice. Also Pink Floyd--lots of atmospheric stuff on Hounds of Love. I think her singing on Peter Gabriel's So is really great, too. No surprise those two got together.

12:29 PM  
Blogger S said...

That James song is SOOOO Moonmadness!

OK S, is there a connection between Genesis and Camel here that I don't know about?

And so, I take it that Kate and Peter Gabriel were once an item?

Teach me, baby!

Where's your 55?

BTW, for the really red of my pics, I just turned up that color selector where you can go all the way to black and white, or add all the color you can to saturate!
Plus, everything in the picture really is red, and that fabric, if you saw my HNT last week, erm...it's a really fantastic piece of cheap polyester or nylon that just happens to catch light in the most wonderful of ways!
And, my hair, I just hennaed it like 4 days ago, so it is extra coppery and stuff....


Hi Miss Lisa!

OK 55's guys, lets get to it!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

No connection between Camel and Genesis that I can think of, except KB incorporated sounds from both into her music. As for KB and PG "Getting together" I meant singing together. She sang on the song Don't Give Up from Pete's So album, and adds great support singing to his 1st and 3rd self-titled solo albums as well. Do you have any of those?

6:51 AM  
Blogger S said...

No I dont have any Peter Gabriel solo stuff.

I have been really enjoying the Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon thing lately.......

8:58 AM  
Blogger S said...

OK my Paramount list is up!

11:58 PM  
Blogger S said...

I think you should review the Getty for those of us formerly of that region that have yet to see it!

Then a challenge:
Your top ten or 5 if you want all time favourite LPS of your high school career, and why, reviews, and song and/or lyrics highlights WITH visuals.
Now if you dont want to do high school, choose a time....and then do top ten or 5 now. I just think the retro lookback would be fun.

Miss Pizza, do it too! :D You are hereby challenged!

Thankyou

9:28 AM  
Blogger Sidewaysagain said...

I think I will.

4:47 PM  
Blogger S said...

Wow Steve, your 55 this week is just awesome.
For today, I will just stay afloat in this drop of water, and not see the drop as a lake, or an ocean...

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home